It’s hard to admit this being from the land of BBQ, baked beans, and coleslaw but that last little side dish has never done it for me. It is one of the few foods I willingly pass by and don’t scoop onto my plate.
But you know how you first meet someone maybe they don’t immediately catch your interest. Maybe its nothing negative but you just didn’t seem them like that. I do. That crush? I knew him 4 years before he caught my eye. It’s not because he isn’t handsome and amazing, I just wasn’t looking at him. For one he was a baseball player with a schedule that prohibits any sort of life. Also, typical of me in a BBQ buffet line, I get distracted and overwhelmed by all the options. Anyways, all of this is to say that this crush is kinda like coleslaw.
Coleslaw has been sitting in front of me for years. I maybe occasionally pick at it when its put on my plate, but it is never something I pursued. Until I went to Zoe’s Kitchen with my mom and she ordered their coleslaw. I first turned up my nose but then after seeing it with the right pair of eyes, I just had to have it. It was delicious.
A few days later I was at 7th Street Market, por supuesto, with my favorite friend in the front with his small stand of fresh fruits and vegetables. There was a cabbage, looking at me, challenging me to finally say yes to him. A dollar later, I walked away with a head of cabbage and headed home to conquer the slaw. Here is how I see coleslaw with new eyes.
Mediterranean Coleslaw (original recipe)
(pictured with pan-fried alligator over dirty rice)
1. Head of cabbage
2. 1/2 cup Olive Oil
3. Feta Cheese
5. Spices (I used Penzeys Spices-Mural of Flavor)
Directions: (I love how easy this is!)
1. Wash and chop the cabbage into thin and short strips
2. pour olive oil over cabbage in bowl
3. Season to taste
4. Toss ingredients together
5. Add feta cheese (I use about 3/4 cup)
6. Dice and add 5-8 strawberries
7. Very gently toss (you want to have tossed everything together before hand because strawberries get mushy and loose their beautiful appearance when tossed around too much)
8. Serve or chill in refrigerator